NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 36, Issue 8

Mon Nov 10 11:21:33 EST 2008

For info about NS research cars 31, 33, 34, 36 and 37 that was current at the time see my Nov. 18, 2006, May 13, 2007 and Aug. 19, 2007, messages in the Mailing List archives.

As an update, NS 31 was removed from the Virginia Museum of Transportation some months ago and placed back into service by the NS R&T Dept., but it is scheduled to be retired again soon. Regarding the recently seen NS 33 and 34 research cars and NS 5408 loco, the 34 had a cab installed at Juniata Shops along with modern instrumentation and it and the 33 were repainted. The newly painted GP38-2, NS 5608, is assigned to the research train (NS 33 and 34).

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 2:00 AM
Subject: RE: NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 36, Issue 8

> What kind of research is done with them? Do we know their schedule over the
> system?
>
> Bob McKell Chillicothe Ohio

Track geometry... deflection under load, guage etc. We had a fiarly in-depth discussion on these recently... and if I could just remember how to pull up the archive I'd point you directly to it!! Fear not though, I'm sure Ron will come along with the way...

Robb Fisher
RFDI