Koehler, VA

Tue Dec 9 11:35:11 EST 2008

I asked this on the Southern list, but somehow forgot to ask here.

I'm looking for information regarding the track arrangement at Koehler,
VA, where the Danville & Western and N&W interchanged. This is just
west of Martinsville, VA, and can be seen here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&channel=s&hl=en&q=Koehler,+VA&ie=UTF8&ll=36.68962,-79.909058&spn=0.106818,0.154495&z=13

I have a 1912 station list for the D&W, which indicates that the N&W
went under the D&W, but also lists for the same location "grade
crossing, track connection." Does that mean that there was a
connection, a diamond, or both? Does anyone have any idea what the
track arrangement was for Koehler in the '40s or '50s?

Also, the list mentioned above clearly states that there is a "crossing
of our tracks under grade." If you look at the above link, however, and
zoom in on the aerial photo, it appears that the N&W line crosses over
the D&W. There seems to be an old grade a few hundred yard to the
northeast, however. I'm assuming that the current track is relocated
from the original? When was this done?
Kenneth Rickman - krickman1 at carolina.rr.com
Salisbury, NC

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!