N&W in 1909--Passenger agents

Sun Feb 1 16:42:59 EST 2009

IN CITY AND COALFIELD
------
Passenger Agents Here

Yesterday a supply of general traveling passenger agents were in Bluefield. Among them were J. V. Cloyman of the Burlington route; H. M. Brendon of the Pennsylvania lines; and M. F. Bragg of the Norfolk and Western.
------
[Some initials and names were blurred on the microfilm--the best interpretation is shown. This article illustrates how railroads sent traveling passenger agents to other railroads where they lobbied for passengers to be routed over their connecting lines. My aunt was a ticket agent for the PRR at its 14th & G ticket office in Washington, DC, and I still have a Great Northern cigarette lighter that she got from such a traveling agent of the GN and gave to me.]

Gordon Hamilton