Columbus District single tracking

Wed Feb 25 22:50:39 EST 2009

The single tracking through Chillicothe was done in 1959-1960. It may have had to do with tax reasons? I have never heard why it was done. It might have also had to do with the N&W having four tracks to cross of the B&O. Since the B&O SE was here first the N&W had eight diamonds to maintain when it was double track. During this same time a bridge was built to carry Main Street over the N&W and B&O tracks. The B&O/N&W crossing was right next to the bridge. N&W had a elevated crossing tower there prior to the overpass being built. I have pics in my collection taken when all of this was going on.
At least on two occasions in the 25 yrs I have lived here in Chillicothe there has been talk of returning to double track. Since there are no longer B&O tracks to cross you would think it would be the thing to do. Especially with the tunnel enlargements on the east end of the line.

Trent Hulbert