Boyce agents

Sat Feb 28 18:30:10 EST 2009

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:42:27 -0500
Subject: agent-operator at Boyce

Frank,
    Have you ever come across the name J.P. Stollings as the agent at Boyce?

Jimmy Lisle

February 28, 2009

Hello, Jimmy:

Morton J. Dunlap was Agent at Boyce as recorded in a 1905 list of N&W Officers and Agents. He apparently there earlier, since he purchased a house in 1896. He remained as agent at Boyce until he died in late 1929.

In 1931, the agent was T. M. Sheetz, then S. M. Lane in 1939. L. C. Murray appears in the 1952, 1956, and 1958 editions of N&W Officers and Agents. I believe the station closed as a N&W agency in 1958, but do not know the date. Likewise, I don't know the date the present station building opened its doors.

There was a L. C. Murray at a Roanoke nursing home in 2002. It appears that he has passed away since then.

Obviously there could be gaps, Jimmy. Do you know much about J.P. Stollings' career? I'm always interested in learning who else may have worked at Boyce, even as a relief agent-operator. I am assuming that Boyce never had a clerk, freight room laborers, or baggage handlers.

Best wishes,

Frank