N&W in 1909--Fire hydrant

Sun Mar 8 20:35:42 EDT 2009

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
May 12, 1909

BURNING CAR HURRIED THROUGH YARD TO TANK
------
Was Loaded With Merchandise and Evidently Caught Fire From Spontaneous Combustion

A car loaded with merchandise took fire, evidently from spontaneous combustion, about 8 o'clock last night. It was standing on the east yard where the fire was discovered. A shifting engine was hastily hooked to it and the burning car hurried through the yard to the big water tank near the round house, where the fire was put out.
------
[Assuming the spout was used, I'll bet the volume of water coming out of the tank spout made short work of the fire, but I don't know how they got someone to go on top the burning car (probably wooden) to lower the spout and pull the rope to open the water valve.]

Gordon Hamilton