Virginian in 1909--Coal record

Mon Mar 23 11:01:59 EDT 2009

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
June 11, 1909

VIRGINIAN BREAKS RECORD FOR HAULING COAL
------
Train of Eighty Cars Carrying 4,310 Tons of Black Diamonds Pulled Into Norfolk

The Virginian railway broke all records for hauling coal to Tidewater, by hauling into Norfolk Tuesday night, with a new locomotive of the Mikado type on its first run, a train consisting of eighty fifty-ton steel coal cars, loaded with coal.
With official figures before him, Vice-President and General Manager Dupuy said the coal aboard this train consists of 4,310 long tons, and the weight of the train excluding tender and caboose, scaled 6,023 tons.
"We have accomplished, " he said "what we started out four years ago to do. The big train was assembled at Victoria, about 120 miles from Norfolk."
Mr. Dupuy said, however, this could easily have been brought from Princeton, 350 miles from Norfolk.
Expert engineers, discussing the feat, declared the faith Henry H. Rogers exhibited in his road has been justified.
------
Gordon Hamilton