Wood Preservation

Sun Apr 12 15:24:40 EDT 2009

This inquiry is for those "older" car knockers (and any one else that can help).
As many on the list know I am in the process of restoring the N&W CF caboose 518216 at the Railway Museum of Greater Cincinnati. Part of the restoration is mounting new wood beams composed of oak on the end of the car. These beams measure 8" by 10" and go across the width of the car. My question is "What is the best way and material to use to preserve these beams as they will be out in the weather?" They have not been treated with any thing thus far. The plan is to paint them black to match the end platform. I've heard that the "old" way was to use linseed oil. I've never used the stuff so I am unfamiliar with it.
Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.
Dave Moorehead
Milford, OH