N&W K1 in moviw

Tue Apr 21 09:41:50 EDT 2009

Joe

When "Giant" was filmed, it was late in the C&O steam era. The move
producers wanted it filmed in what appeared to be horse country and
they found the locations along the C&O, near Charlottesville
Virginia. However, the C&O hardly had any steam power that was
suitable to use. The N&W was still all steam at that time.

The movie scene was set in the 1920/30 era and steam was the desire.
The movie company or C&O rented the 100, repainted with a incorrect
"Chesapeake & Ohio" lettering at Roanoke Shops. Reportedly the tank
was only repainted on the fireman's side . The 100 went up for
filming on the C&O, the station stop was filmed at Keswick, Virginia
relettered for Ardmore. The Keswick station, last I was there, is
still standing, but hardly looks like the movie version.

Ken Miller