"Taking Twenty" with the Virginian Brethren

Thu Apr 23 09:25:13 EDT 2009

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with 11 of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. Tom "Cornbread" Victory, who has been
sick recently, was able to be with us again last night. I asked "Cornbread"
if he knew what day it was. He responded "Wednesday". I said "No, what is
celebrated today?" He had no idea, so I told him it was Earth Day. He
responded "I thought we were on Earth every day". We signed a Happy
Birthday card for Wister Sowder, VGN Clerk, who is turning 83 tomorrow. Wis
is a "gentleman farmer" and in his retirement, raises apples and vegetables
on his farm in Roanoke County and sells them at the Farmer's Market in
Salem. When asked how he got to be named "Wister, said that he was named
after a neighbor who had apple orchards on nearby Bent Mountain, who was
also named Wister. Also dropping by to be with us was Rev. Arthur
Wingfield, a Methodist Minister who is also a cousin of Ruf Wingfield. It
was amazing how "well behaved" the Brethren were when Rev. Wingfield was
with us...

Rufus Wingfield gave me his 1950-51 Virginian Pass Number A 802 to be added
to our artifacts in the Depot after restoration. Ruf and I collaborated on
a VGN sticker project and he sold some to the Brethren. It is a 3" X 5"
sticker with peel off back that can be put on the outside of a glass window
or taped to the inside of your car rear window. This type of sticker has
become popular recently. It says "VGN" with "Railway" underneath. I have
posted a photo on this site under "Logos and Patches". He is selling them
for $2. Contact me if you want one at: <gkholine at cox.net>

Felix Price, who worked at the VGN Power House in Narrows, finished
identifying all of the VGN employees in the Power House photo. I have
posted this photo on this site under "People". If you want to know who all
the people in the photo are, contact me and I will email it to you. Note in
the photo standing on the far right in the black suit, bow tie and white
pith helmet, the unofficial VGN photographer George Shands. I asked Felix
if Shands set the camera up on a tripod, adjusted the timer and ran to be
in the photo and he answered "Yes he certain ally did...." Does anyone out
there have any idea when this photo was taken? I need this information for
the Archives.

The ebay report includes a brass Builder's Plate (Reproduction) identified
as coming off VGN SA #4 selling for $224.49 and a 1927 VGN RWY Schedule and
Map for $78.44.

The DVD shown was one I took last week of a Herzog ballast train dumping
ballast at Riverside on the old VGN just east of Kumis.

I showed the Brethren a donation to the Archives from John McDaniel of VGN
AFE 7223. This Authorization For Expenditure included maps and material
lists down to the number of spikes needed, for VGN mine tracks for Premier
Pocahontas Colliery Company at Tierney, WV, Mile Post 369.2. Also passed
around was the Fall 2008 NRHS "Bulletin" that has some old (fifties) photos
of NYC equipment, but no photos near Deepwater or on VGN.

Frank Breedlove told the Brethren that he knows a friend who went to his
doctor for a check up and the doctor told him he had but 6 months to live.
After the 6 months was up, he went back to the same doctor and since he had
not paid his bill, the doctor gave him 6 more months....

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon