N&W in 1909--Yards

Sat Apr 25 21:50:19 EDT 2009

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
August 14, 1909

LOCAL YARDS AMONG FINEST IN COUNTRY
------
Chesapeake and Ohio Division Superintendent Surprised at Terminal Facilities Here
------
NONE MORE EXTENSIVE OR BETTER ARRANGED
------
Management Reduced to Scientific Basis, Fewest Possible Number of Men Handling Work While Service is Efficient
------
THOROUGH RAILROAD MAN AND OPINION CARRIES WEIGHT
------
J. D. Cary, of Hinton, division superintendent of the Chesapeake and Ohio railway for the Hinton division, was in the city yesterday visiting the Norfolk and Western division officers and looking over the terminal facilities of the yard. Supt. Cary went over the Virginian to Norfolk and is returning to Hinton over the Norfolk and Western by way of Kenova.
Mr. Cary went over the Bluefield yards yesterday with Division Superintendent Becker, and he gives it as his opinion that the yards here are among the finest in the United States. Coming from Mr. Cary, this stands for something, since he has reached his present position almost entirely through the yard and trainmaster departments. He is an experienced trainmaster with a long experience with the Chesapeake and Ohio as a yard master. To a Daily Telegraph representative Supt. Cary said:
"I have visited a great many yards in the United States, and with an exception or so, notably one of which is the Pennsylvania, I have never seen a more extensive or a better yard arrangement than the Norfolk and Western has at Bluefield. The yard management has been reduced to a scientific basis, and from an economic viewpoint it is one of the best, if not the best, I have ever examined. The work is handled by the fewest possible number of men, and the service is the most efficient."
Mr. Cary stands high in the Chesapeake and Ohio service as an all around man, and his opinions were those of a man who knows about what he is talking.
Mr. Cary will leave this morning for Hinton and will be accompanied over the Pocahontas division by Superintendent W. S. Becker.
------
Gordon Hamilton