Signal oil versus kerosene lanterns

Sat May 16 15:53:02 EDT 2009

At 11:00 AM 5/16/2009, you wrote:

>2) What is the design difference between a "signal oil" and a

>kerosene lantern? This seems to be around the time that railroads

>shifted from tall-globe to short-globe lanterns. Is that the

>principal difference?

>3) How different is "Kerosene Oil ... Specification F-22" from

>the kerosene commercially sold at present-day gas stations?

2) Signal oil on the RF&P in the early 1950's is what is called light
lard oil to day

3) From what I can gather from the directions the Kerosene they used
back then, is called API K-1 today
True K-1 looks like very clean water, where K-2 and above is yellow
with black spots floating in it.

API No 1. oil comes in 3 or more grades and is called by some people
coal oil which is Kerosene. True Coal Oil
is a by-product of Water Gas.

API No. 2 oil is called Diesel Oil, Fuel Oil, or Furnace Oil.

Jet Aircraft Fuel in a mix of No.1 and No.2 oils.

HB Lyon