NS B-line MP B 79.5 to MP B 84.4 *** RARE Mileage Movement ***

Sat May 23 18:40:32 EDT 2009

There was probably a good reason that Steve at NS MP B-74 at Woodstock, Va saw a hi-Rail truck early this week.

While crossing the tracks in Edinburg going from I-81 to Route 11, I glanced south and just across the Stoney Creek Bridge at MP B-79, I saw something which hasn't been there in nearly 20 years.

After a little bit of investigation with a couple of very helpful and friendly locals, it seems that on Thursday, May 21, 2009, NS (or was it Chesapeake Western?) took a bunch of out-of-service cars; flats, covered hoppers, boxcars, cars awaiting a higher scrap price, and who knows what else, and shoved them to just south of the bridge at Stony Creek-Edinburg, MP B-79, right behind the cemetery just south of town, leaving grade crossings and other close encounters with Route 11 clear for the most part. They are presently strung out from MP B-79.5 to just north of Bowman's Crossing near MP B-80.8.

Apparently there will be more such movements to come, so keep your eyes and ears open for this "rare mileage" move, the first since perhaps the late 1980's, even if a non-revenue move. These cars are expected to be stored until a pickup in business and/or higher scrap prices or complaints of being a conspicuous nuisance.

What power did the shoving? I was told a big blue one and big black & white one and that's all I have for the moment. What amazed me was that they actually ran over that track without incident, for where I looked at it and have done so several times before, north of Red Banks, there are some really bad dips in the track. I was told the train moved very, very slowly, noticeably rocking and swaying as it passed across the worst of the dips from these people's back yards, however there apparently were 2 units. If anyone can gleen further information, please pass it on.

While talking with the people, I was invited to view 4 culverts, which undoubtedly date from the 1850's and the original construction of the Manassas Gap.

No other cars appeared, other than the hi-rail truck north of the bridge across Stoney Creek in Edinburg.

Some of these cars are undoubtedly visible from I-81, and if not yet, their additions in the coming days and weeks will be as they string them southward.

Bob Cohen