Opposition to new NS intermodal yard in New Market, TN

Mon Jun 22 12:11:37 EDT 2009

The benefits derived from an intermodal rail yard extend far beyond
local considerations of the town of New Market. But the NIMBY reaction
is understandable; the locals think it should be 'somewhere else'.
Similar things happen all the time. Where I live, the NJ DOT has
started construction which will convert a traffic circle into a complex
overpass. This was preceded by years of meetings, petitions, web
sites, suggestions that the 3/4 mile long overpass will 'destroy our
town'. Progress has a price.

In nearby Camden, there was opposition to a concrete reprocessing plant
built on the Delaware River. Residents objected to noise, dust, etc.
The creation of desparately needed entry level jobs,
tax ratables, growth of local business, was ignored. Actually, the
intermodal yard seems less a problem to me than things like shopping
malls (traffic, crime) or industrial site (pollution, risk of
incident). The follow up to this story will be interesting.