NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 44, Issue 27

Mon Jun 22 19:50:32 EDT 2009

I, too have heard the year "1958" when associated with the N&W, the
Shenandoah Division and the demise of the telegraph. Other railroads
undoubtedly ended the practice at different times including the Frisco
quote for 1957, however, didn't a number of "old heads" on the B&O
keep a section active well into the 1980's for their local use out in
the Sand Patch area? I have heard many references to this one and that
it only ended when a derailment took out the wire. Southern's
Washington Division ended the practice on the mainline by or before
about 1960.

Bob Cohen

Mike Weeks asks: "When did N&W stop using telegraphs?"