Kodak to retire Kodachrome after 74 years

Wed Jun 24 10:28:00 EDT 2009

NW Mailing List wrote:

> Here is something worth remembering and keeping in mind. I pulled this

> from the VRFD list and apologize for any cross-posting. I hope the

> link works.

> Bob Cohen

> 4. Kodak retires Kodachrome

> Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:17 pm (PDT)

> Kodak retires Kodachrome- Market Dispatches - MSN Money

> (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Dispatch/market-dispatches.aspx?post=1162584&_blg=1,1162315)

> The company will discontinue the color film after 74 years

<snip>

This is truly an end of an era, and a momentous closure to the (color
positive) film dominance of I'm not sure how many decades. Monochrome
negative film - and color - seems to be having a revival with 'serious'
photographers amongst the professionals if the shows and material at the
processors is any guide.

Much of my photography has been on Kodachrome 33 and 64 (and Ektachrome)
as well as monchrome negative film since c. 1965 ..... and your post
prompted me to get out some of these, and also a book that celebrated
the era of Kodachrome - the American Invention of our World - 1939 - 59
ed Els Rijper pub 2002 Delano Greenidge Editions ISBN 0-929445-13-9 ...
what color, what vibrancy ..... only though 2 photos that included the
railway - a prospect of Patterson NJ, and working the points (or switch)
at Chicago and North Western's Proviso Yard. Surprisingly nothing of any
of the major locomotives or trains of the era ......

I'll have to get out all my small, and so-so, library and get the
scanner up and running, and see what is worth putting up.

This story has gone around the world:

Some references:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/photoblog/
http://www.centreforjournalism.co.uk/blogs/%E2%80%9Cmama-don%E2%80%99t-take-my-kodachrome-away%E2%80%9D
http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/72157620105264599/page2/
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/090622/business/us_electronics_photography_company_kodak
http://kodachrome.feed24.com/
http://www.railpage.com.au/f-p1260310.htm

I'm sure that there are more.

I haven't 'done' much if any film photography for over 5 years .....
this may prompt me to dust off my OM-1 and Olymous Trips, bag whatever
Kodachrome film I can find, and get out and 'shoot' before processing is
no longer available.

Dominic
London

--
Please help me support the Pirate Castle at
http://www.justgiving.com/dominicpinto