N&W in 1909--Bridge

Thu Jul 2 13:24:19 EDT 2009

Campbell Road Yard brings back memories. During the years I lived in Ohio I went up to Cleveland often to railfan. At this time all the steel mills, ore docks, and associated facilities were still operating at full capacity. Cleveland was served by Penn Central (both former PRR and NYC), N&W (former NKP part of which was former Wheeling and Lake Erie), B&O, Erie Lackawanna (former Erie), and various steel mill industrials like the Newburgh and South Shore and Cuyahoga Valley. When I think of N&W's Campbell Road Yard (down in "The Flats" surrounded by steel mills) during those times in the 1970's I envision a large group dirty blue (some black NW) ex-NKP 2400 series GP-7's (and some2400 series GP-9's) and lots railcars loaded or empty for coal, coke, and steel. The surrounding mills provided a great deal of smoke, airborne particulate, and the associated smell of steel mill and blast furnace operations......... adding to what made the place so interesting. I went to Google maps and looking at 2009 Satellite images of Campbell Rd Yard and its surroundings it still appeared much the same (despite understanding that much of Cleveland's steel production capacity is now long gone.......in fact I was told when visiting the area several years ago that Cleveland imports more steel than it now produces.)

Ed Painter - from Narrows, VA living in Russellville, AR

You're doggone right, Ed Painter. The W&LE also entered Cleveland

from Harmon. How do I know ? My first assignment on the N&W was

on the Lake Region. I arrived in Cleveland on a Sunday afternoon

and started looking for a place to put up. My boss, a buckeye by

the way, suggested staying in a swanky neighborhood known as "the

Heights". People there didn't rent rooms. Next day, someone

suggested a motel that rented by the week -- and I'm making $550

a month ? At Campbell Road one day, I found W&LE had a dormitory

there, and with the General Manager's permission, I was able to

stay there for $15 a week. W&LE had a bridge north of Campbell

Road that crossed the Cuyahoga River. The sludge in the river

caught fire and burned the trestle down.

Harry Bundy

Dell Laptops: Huge Savings on Popular Laptops - Deals starting at $399<http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222883570x1201497211/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D0>