NRH&W (Wolf Creek line)

Mon Sep 7 16:01:05 EDT 2009

________________________________
Sent: Monday, 7 September, 2009 7:44:43 PM
Subject: Re: NRH&W (Wolf Creek line)

<snip>

So, was this line destined to be built to Saltville? That is
certainly possible as it is on the other end of that valley.. I also
remember reading in a post not too long ago that they were headed for
Sharon Springs, Ceres, and possibly Bland. Of course, Bland was not
on the way to Sharon Springs so I don't know how they wanted to route
it.

Was there a mine at Suiter? What was their source of revenue? Any stations?

<snip>

Some details are at http://www.bland.k12.va..us/bland/rocky/railroad/web-content/index.html

"New River, Holston, and Western
Railroad Company continued the railroad all the way to Rocky Gap in
1912. This came about because of a purchase by W.M. Ritter Lumber
Company called Buck Horn Timber. The railroad was built to Suiter in
1914, when Mr. W.E. Mingea, Jr., of Abingdon, Virginia, owner of all
the big survey in Bland County, built it to help the lumber and bark
industry. In 1919, it was sold to Norfolk and Western Railroad Company."

It seems to have been more the timber interests that were the attraction.

Dominic Pinto
http://www.ecademy.com/user/dominicpinto
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dominicpinto

e-m: dominic.pinto at ieee.org