Automatic Train Control in N&WHS Newsletter

Wed Sep 9 10:55:28 EDT 2009

Richard,

I think the predictions of greatly increased traffic on the Valley were tied in with the expectation that a major intermodal terminal would now be constructed somewhere near or north of Hagerstown on the CR Cumberland Valley line. Supposedly NS had wanted to route much of its intermodal traffic from the Northeast to the Mid-South down this line but Conrail was not being cooperative. I think the expectation was that, with Conrail's foot-dragging out of the way, NS would get to work quickly in setting up the intermodal facility and rerouting traffic. I recently saw an article (someone may have posted it on this site) announcing that NS is finally going to do this. Makes you wonder if Conrail had really been the major problem. Of course, the economy might have had something to do with the delay, but there was a long period of economic and traffic boom between the NS-Conrail merger and the present recession.

Sam Putney

Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: Automatic Train Control in N&WHS Newsletter

Jimmy,

As a certified Valley fan, sometimes I wonder why in the early days the Valley line was often the first to get new technology and now it is usually the last.

Also, I was transferring some video to DVD the other night and I came across the News 7 story about the first day of the Conrail takeover. The big news was the expected traffic on the valley line was supposed to triple. They put up all the signs that said, "warning, increased train traffic..." and after a year or so they took them down. I was looking forward to the extra traffic myself!

Thanks,

Richard D. Shell
"Nace" VA