Signal Head (NW Modeling List)

Sat Sep 12 20:21:51 EDT 2009

My memory is a little foggy. I grew up in Portsmouth, Ohio and mad many
trips up and down US 23 to Columbus. I was born in the late 50's and don't
remember steam but I do remember it was a treat to me seeing a train along
23 as the tracks ran almost right beside it in a lot of places. I was also
able to check out the signals and through my own deductions during the
years (I lived in the area up until 1983). I can't remember if the lights
were approach lit or not. But they were yellow red or green position light
signals. They always glowed just one color, I usually got my hopes up if
I saw a yellow or a red going the same direction I was going as I had the
hope of catching a train. Sometimes when I was a passenger I would turn
around and check the signal going in the opposite direction, hoping for a
green. Sometimes I would get lucky, other times not.

A.J. Gemperline