Railway Express

Tue Sep 15 03:46:36 EDT 2009

Re: Express
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:07 AM
From: "rnnelson1 at verizon.net" <rnnelson1 at verizon.net>
To: f_scheer at yahoo.com

Frank:

Yes, if Boyce was just a flag stop, I'd say that would rule it out as being "the stop for Winchester" Yes, Berryville sounds much better.
As far as Shenandoah Jct goes, there was a ton of express and mail as well exchanged between N&W's 1 and 2 and the B&O. The mail from N&W 1 went on B&O Train 7.

Ric

September 15, 2009

Thanks for your observations, Rick.

An interesting aside: I have the post office unit from Gaylord, which was a non-stop mail exchange from most trains, about three miles north of Berryville. On it is a small sign "subscribe here to the Baltimore Sun."

I've thought about how with the mail transfer at Shenandoah Junction, the Sun had an entre in northwestern Virginia. Of course, the Washington Post could have been dispatched via the B&O as well, but it's still interesting to me that via the connecting RPO service, the Sun was distributed to points outside an area that one might otherwise consider.

Good morning,

Frank