J #604 builders plate

Mon Sep 21 20:10:00 EDT 2009

Any particular reason they moved them?

Mike Weeks
Greenville NC

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon 9/21/2009 12:14 PM
To: 'NW Mailing List'
Subject: RE: J #604 builders plate

Same as on the J's - Just below the running board, directly in line with its former location. You had to get your head pretty close to the cylinder and look up behind the skirt to see it. Helped if it was a sunny day. On the K's at least, there was a little space between the smokebox and the running board that let a little light shine down and help you read the plate. My father and I made the discovery by accident one day when we were at the roundhouse and just happened to look up at a K2 which was between the turntable and the Bluefield shop building. After that, we looked up the same way at the 611-613 and discovered they had been built with plates in this location. Jim Nichols