J #604/611 Data

Sun Oct 18 21:23:17 EDT 2009

Never heard this one before, but no, not true. The 611 was the last
survivor, and the only one in operating condition by summer of 1959.
The 611 did and still has a number of parts from other Class J
locomotives, I remember seeing tags for 600, 608, 610 and 607 on
various appliances and parts, probably more as well.

None of the Class J were ever renumbered.

He may have heard the story of the C&O J-3a No. 614, which was
renumbered late in the steam era to avoid a conflict with a leased
RF&P locomotive, it was renumbered simply by chiseling the part of the
4 off the number plate, making it 611, which it remained at until
restored to operating condition in 1979.

Ken Miller