Operator manual for steam locomotives?

Mon Oct 26 02:31:08 EDT 2009

Mike,
International Correspondence School did have a fairly complete set of manuals that described how a steam locomotive and its various appliances operated. If you can find them they are a real treasure trove of information. Excellent is the only word to describe them!
Years ago I approached Jim about having my set reprinted and sold through the N&WHS. Nothing ever came of it.
The C&O had a fireman's manual that is very very good. At one time it a reprint was available through the C&OHS. There are also a couple of web sites that have manuals from the PRR & NYC.
As far as I know the N&W had nothing specific to compare with any of the above, however, my set of ICS books came from an N&W engineer and I would venture a guess that the N&W may have went that route ( plus on the job training ) as far as educating their new firemen. BTW, the ICS course catalog has an illustration of a J on the cover.

NYC course: http://www.railarchive.net/firing/index.html

I can't find the PRR right now, but, I do have it in a pdf file.
Jimmy Lisle