Saltville Locomotives

Thu Oct 29 19:26:01 EDT 2009

We drove over to Saltville this afternoon and were stunned to see what has
taken place since our last visit during Labor Day Weekend.

D.E. Eakin and Sons, Inc of Roanoke has a contract, being funded by the town
of Saltville and a grant from VDOT, to restore the two ex- Mathieson Alkali
Works locomotives and has brought them around to be visual head-turners
(disregarding the white-painted wheels, of course).

I attach a view of the former N&W 2-8-0 sold to Mathieson in 1922.

In today's Saltville Progress, Roger A. Allison has written a fine, detailed
account of the restoration effort and the history of the two steam engines.

Also, the enclosure and surrounding sidewalks and grounds are being given a
professional redo. Expect Saltville will now become a distinct destination
for railfans.

Mike Pierry, Jr.