N&W in 1910--injury

Sun Dec 6 11:22:42 EST 2009

An interesting commentary between "then" and "now" is how Engineer Shelton is laid off work due to a work-related injury. Can that still happen on the railroads? It is unthinkable in my industry (hazardous waste cleanup), at least with my company.

John Samples

________________________________
Sent: Wed, December 2, 2009 7:59:34 PM
Subject: N&W in 1910--injury

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
June 8, 1910

IN CITY AND COALFIELD
------
Engineer Slightly Injured
    Engineer R. I. Shelton was slightly injured yesterday afternoon by being struck in the neck by a piece of an exploded torpedo as his train was passing Cleveland, Va.  He was relieved at St. Paul and will return to this city on No. 12 today.  Other than a lay off for several days Engineer Shelton is all right, a fact his many friends will be glad to learn.
------
[The attached photo of a track torpedo shows the two lead straps that are bent to secure the torpedo to the rail head.  I remember being told not to stand near a torpedo because the explosion could send the straps flying.  That is obviously why N&W operating Rule 15 states, in part, "Torpedoes must not be placed at stations or one public crossings."  Apparently, Engineer Shelton was leaning out the cab window and got hit by one of the flying torpedo straps.]

Gordon Hamilton