N&W in 1910--injury

Wed Dec 9 18:37:28 EST 2009

I had to pick up a suicide by train this morning. I was splashed in the
face with blood, so my Emergency Department treats me like a war hero
(something
us Viet Nam era guys know too little about). But my sympathies go to the
loco engineer who will need Post Traumatic Stress treatments.

I hope he gets the time he needs, paid!

Tom Cosgrove

NW Mailing List wrote:

> An interesting commentary between "then" and "now" is how Engineer

> Shelton is laid off work due to a work-related injury. Can that still

> happen on the railroads? It is unthinkable in my industry (hazardous

> waste cleanup), at least with my company.

> John Samples

> *Sent:* Wed, December 2, 2009 7:59:34 PM

> *Subject:* N&W in 1910--injury

> Bluefield Daily Telegraph

> June 8, 1910

> IN CITY AND COALFIELD

> ------

> *Engineer Slightly Injured*

> Engineer R. I. Shelton was slightly injured yesterday afternoon by

> being struck in the neck by a piece of an exploded torpedo as his

> train was passing Cleveland, Va. He was relieved at St. Paul and will

> return to this city on No. 12 today. Other than a lay off for several

> days Engineer Shelton is all right, a fact his many friends will be

> glad to learn.

> ------

> [/The attached photo of a track torpedo shows the two lead straps that

> are bent to secure the torpedo to the rail head. I remember being

> told not to stand near a torpedo because the explosion could send the

> straps flying. That is obviously why N&W operating Rule 15 states, in

> part, "Torpedoes must not be placed at stations or one public

> crossings." Apparently, Engineer Shelton was leaning out the cab

> window and got hit by one of the flying torpedo straps./]

> Gordon Hamilton

Tom Cosgrove
N2VFK
NREMT-B