Norfolk Southern History

Thu Jan 28 17:51:40 EST 2010

I don't remember which magazine had an interview with Mr. Lee, who ran UP's
Steam program at the time but Mr. Lee stated that he had to justify the
expenditures for the steam program. It isn't carte blanche. If the steam
program didn't benefit UP from a business point of view it wouldn't exist. I
live in Albuquerque and every summer I take my grandson on UP's Frontier
Days Steam excursion from Denver to Cheyenne and back. Nothing like getting
coal ash in your face. There are over seven hundred seats available at a
minimum of $325.00 per seat with dome cars costing about $375.00 and that
doesn't even come close to what it costs UP to put on that shindig. Repeat
riders get first dibs, but still all the seats are sold out within two hours
of being made available to the general public. Also remember who got the US
Government to put a hold on CN from grabbing up a number of small U.S.
John Lisica #2073
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: Norfolk Southern History