N&W Class T-1 2300

Tue Feb 9 16:48:14 EST 2010

A few months ago I asked some questions about the "Jawn Henry" turbine engine # 2300. It was recommended that I read the "Rails Remembered" volume 4 by Mr. Louis Newton. I am so glad that I followed that advice.
Mr. Newton, I felt as though I was standing, looking over your shoulder while you so meticulously followed this project from drawing stage, through erection, and through the experimental operation. Having been a problem solving mechanical engineer myself, I can so appreciate you having kept a journal. Even more striking is the sad story of the death of an era of time that some of us will never forget. Example to quote the author from page 867, " I have often thought that the instellation of air horns was the symbolic beginning of the end for steam power on the Norfolk and Western".
Mr. Newton, thank you sir for preserving such a time.

Gene A.
Gloucester, Va.