N&W and VGN in 1910--Special train

Sat Feb 27 15:08:29 EST 2010

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
September 29, 1910

SPECIAL TRAIN TO PRINCETON SPEAKING
------
Prominent Men Will Deliver Addresses--Beckley Band Will Furnish Music
A special train from Bluefield to Princeton has been arranged for to accommodate all those who desire to attend the speaking at Princeton on Monday, October 3d. The train will be run free to all who want to go. The Beckley Band has been engaged and a big time is anticipated. Among the speakers will be Governor Glasscock, Congressman Hughes and Hon. A. A. Lilly.

[I wonder how the Beckley Band got to Princeton. I first thought that they could have gotten on a Virginian passenger near Beckley and connected though Mullens to Princeton. But, according to the January 1910 Official Guide of the Railways the Virginian's Winding Gulf passenger service had just been extended from Patterson, WV to Winding Gulf, WV. The only passenger train left Winding Gulf at 11:00 a.m., arriving Mullens 2:30 p.m., but the last passenger train to Princeton left Mullens ahead of that at 1:17 p.m.]
------

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
September 30, 1910

PRINCETON OCT. 3d
Special free train, Bluefield to Matoaka over N. & W. and Matoaka to Princeton over Virginian. Will leave Bluefield at 9 a.m. and stop at all mainline stations. You are invited.

[This is the second special train from Bluefield to Princeton reported in the Bluefield newspapers, and in conjunction with the first article I remarked that I never suspected that any trains were ever operated between the two locations. Here, however, is the second instance. I wonder if the N&W steam engine operated through to Princeton? The electric interurban service between Bluefield and Princeton did not begin until July 1916. I suspect that there were no more passenger trains operated between the two points after that.]
------
Gordon Hamilton