N&W and VGN in 1910--Special train

Sun Feb 28 13:55:24 EST 2010

Tom,

I hadn't considered an early train connection between Beckley and the Virginian main line. The January 1910 Official Guide shows two C&O trains a day between Beckley Jct. and Lester with a stop at Surveyor. Interestingly, the Virginian timetable in that Guide does not list Lester, but the Virginian table does list Surveyor. A later Virginian New River timetable shows Lester to be between Surveyor and Jenny Gap, but Lester doesn't appear to have been a stop in January 1910.

The Index of Railway Stations in the Guide shows the Virginian and C&O stations to be about 125 yds. apart at Lester and about 160 yds. apart at Surveyor. C&O 155 left Beckley Jct. at 8:52 a.m., arriving Surveyor 9:40 a.m., Lester 9:50 a.m. Virginian 36 left Surveyor 9:50 a.m., arriving Princeton 4:25 a.m., providing a close connection at Surveyor. Also, Virginian 14 left Surveyor 12:21 p.m., arriving Princeton 3:15 p.m., having passed No. 36 at Elmore. Also, there was a connection available at Surveyor in the reverse direction.

Thanks for helping me with some unfamiliar territory here and providing one solution to the mystery as to how the Beckley band might have gotten to Princeton.

Gordon Hamilton