Y6 in Saint Louis- steam in general

Mon Mar 1 13:12:48 EST 2010

Rumors like this are common because we would all like to see our favorite
steam return to the rails. Hints of 'something' get interpreted by people
into what they wish for rather than anything factual.

But, the key item is where and how can a steam locomotive be supported.
Shops, running maintenance, water and coaling facilities, spare parts and
especially TRAINED people familiar with steam locomotive operation and
repair are all necessary to run steam. For instance, the UP has its own
shops and trained and experienced people for its steam. This makes it
easier for upper management to support the program as the systems necessary
to keep the program going are 'known and understood'- and are already 'sunk
costs'.

Gary Rolih
Cincinnati