Alloy rock....

Wed Mar 24 14:37:26 EDT 2010

I had an uncle who was a chemist at the Electrometallurgical Company plant at Alloy, WV, on the New York Central line east of the state capital, Charleston. If the routing of the stone were N&W to Alloy, it must have been after the December 1, 1959, merger of the Virginian. Alloy is shown in VGN timetables to be 0.3 mi. west of DB tower, which was at the west end of the Deepwater Bridge over the Kanawha River and which was the western end of the VGN. VGN freight trains operated over the NYC to Dickinson Yard 37.3 miles west of DB Tower.

Info on the Web indicates that the former Electro Metallurgical Company plant at Alloy is now West Virginia Alloys, Inc., a joint venture Dow Corning and a part of Globe Specialty Metals, and it lists 5 furnaces -- silicon metal, for the Alloy plant.

Incidentally, as a youngster I visited my aunt and uncle near Alloy, and when time came to return home I was put on a Virginian passenger train at one of the stations west of Alloy to ride to my home near Princeton. I wish I could take that trip today when I could relate more to operations and features along the way.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:39 AM
Subject: Alloy rock....

Speaking of all this steel making business in N&W's service area got me thinking about a commodity that we used to handle on the old Durham and Southern Railroad. At that time, I was working SCL's Engineer's ExtraBoard in Raleigh, NC and would occasionally "borrow out" onto the D&Swhenever they would have a vacancy. As y'all may recall, N&W was D&S'smajor interchange partner in Durham, NC. There was a lot of stone routedLilesville, NC -- SCL -- Apex, NC -- D&S -- Durham, NC -- N&W -- Alloy, WV. We simply called it "alloy rock" because that's where the consignee was but don't really know anything about the commodity itself.Did N&W serve some kind of steel making operation at Alloy, WV in more recent times? You guys "keep 'em on the rails."Dale W. Diacont