Northfork Picture

Tue Apr 6 18:40:35 EDT 2010

Dave:

I was in norhfork last year looking for this site. I happened to run into the Mayor, Dick Mason, who showed me where the Link photo was taken, which is where Central St. crossesthe tracks.

The only thing that remains is a brick wall that was the back wall of the buildings. I have attached a picture of the area as it was last year. When I was there, you could see the remains of a stairway going up the wall. In Link's photograph, there is a walkway beside the building next to the bank, which is part of the same staircase.

Veterans,

O.W.Link had taken a beautiful photo of downtown Northfork showing the mainline passing nearly directly in front of the 'business district' along side of the main drag through town.
Reference "Steam, Steel & Stars" shortly inside the front cover.
Looking at Northfork today from arial images, it is not clear where Link framed this scene. The east portion of town does not seem to 'fit' at all, and the west portion of town seems to show perhaps the remaining tight row of business buildings. But now, the waterway lies BETWEEN the main line and the buildings.

So, I pose to you two questions:
Where approximately did Mr Link frame this image?
Was the main line ever realigned to the other side of the waterway to get it off E Main Street?

Thank you,
Dave Willis
(blt 1962, c/n 4)

John C. Abbott

Note:
No Trees were harmed in sending this message.
However, some electrons along the way were inconvenienced.