Southern's Lynchburg Tunnel project

Thu Jun 3 20:14:20 EDT 2010

Gordon and all:

Great information on Lynchburg and this date is 'findable" I am sure.
I think the new line thru Lynchburg opened sometime in either 1911 or
early 1912 as I have positively read that Kemper Street Station opened
on October 31,1912, compliments of a Lynchburg newspaper article that
some real nice gentleman Lynchburg agent sent me a while back ( a
special thanks to Garland Harper).

It's hard to imagine that good old Kemper is about ready to celebrate
its 100th anniversary, in only 2 years.

Bob Cohen

FIVE YEAR TUNNEL JOB HAS BEEN COMPLETED
------
Southern Railway Cut-Off Under City of Lynchburg Is Ready For Use

The Rivermont tunnel of the Southern Railway has been completed. The
undertaking has been in progress for five years. The tunnel is 1,200
feet long, concrete lined throughout and containing double tracks. The
work was greatly delayed by the fire which burned for six weeks,
started on August 15, 1908*, and which caused some of the streets
above to cave in.
------
*The last digit of the day and of the year were indistinct on the
microfilm. The best interpretation is shown.

Gordon Hamilton