Why the 611?

Sun Jun 6 18:37:57 EDT 2010

Mr. Miller;
Once again thank you for taking so much time to give the details of "Why the
611" was chosen. I'm sure that our email conversations were appreciated by
many. I looked through the on line N&WHS commissary for your book, but
couldn't find any thing. Does not mean that it is not there, just means that
I didn't see it.
Thank you again Sir;
Gene Arnold
Gloucester, Va.

Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 9:35 AM
Subject: Re: Why the 611?

> [...]

> Virginian steam, perfect basis of a transportation museum in all cases.

> However, with the value high, all was scrapped, and the VGN stuff was

> moved in a funeral train very late in December 1959 to get it off the

> property before the end of the physical year. There could easily have

> been more saved, if the desire had been there, and the value of scrap

> been down to nothing, things may have stayed on the property longer,

> awaiting value to rise. Perhaps by then, someone may have come along with

> money or a decent plan to save things, but it costs money, then as today.

> However, it was a scorched earth policy that cleaned the property of most

> all those old steam locomotives, as well as a bunch of other cost cutting

> things done in 1959-1962. Why? Very simple, it improved the bottom line,

> increasing stock value, of which executives like Presidents of the

> company own and it makes stockholders happy as well, which means they

> keep the President in his job.

> Anyway, by August of 1959, 611 was the last J standing, still in

> operating condition, operated on a special trip for Appalachian Power,

> again, the Clayton connection. It was about that time that Graham began

> to write to Stuart Saunders. Graham Claytor was a lawyer at a DC firm,

> not yet with the Southern, Bob Clayton was in N&W law department, and

> still rising in the company, so had to maintain as low a profile as

> possible. However, the Claytors knew Saunders personally, not just

> another crazy railfan writing a letter saying to save this stuff. Graham

> was very determined, visiting, writing frequently about it. He suggested

> keeping the 611 in operating condition for a potential transportation

> museum in Roanoke that was being talked about, and finally came to pass

> in 1963. There was even an evaluation done by N&W in 1962-63 to put 611

> back into operating condition, estimated to cost about $5,000 then.

> Anyway, that is a round about explanation of why the 611, not because it

> was chosen, but it was the last survivor, then and now.

> Ken Miller

> On Jun 4, 2010, at 8:43 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

>> Thank you Mr. Miller.

>> Back to the original question. Was the 611 saved because of its good

>> condition, or was it just the only "J" available?

>> Gene A.

>> list at nwhs.org>

>> Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 11:01 PM

>> Subject: Re: Why the 611?

>>> Link liked to believe he was responsible for saving the 611, however

>>> he had nothing to do with it.

>>> Copies of correspondence I have regarding the saving of 611 lie solely

>>> with W. Graham Clayton, his personal appeal to Stuart Saunders and

>>> repeated efforts resulted in the 611 being saved, not scrapped.

>>> Graham's letters begin about late August 1959. I is covered in my book

>>> on the Class J.

>>> There is absolutely no mention, ever, of Link's involvement or

>>> inquiry. Behind the scenes also working to save a J was Robert B.