Yesterday's photos

Tue Jul 6 17:18:33 EDT 2010

Gordon; a nice railroad picture in Giles County.

For people who haven't spent much time there, there are lots of nice locations in Giles County for great railroad photography on both the former N&W and Virginian. In the summer when the sun is high (combined with the way the New River winds through the mountains) you can always find good sun angles for photography by moving to different locations from early/mid-morning until late/mid-afternoon. The winter is a bit more difficult because of the lower winter sun. As a result some locations may not ever be in sunlight and others only have sunlight for a short period of time. That isn't to say that there still aren't numerous great shots available but not as many or for the same durations as is the case during the summer. Another very attractive thing about railfanning the area is that between Kellysville, WV (only a few miles west of Glen Lyn, VA into WV) and Narrows, VA the trains using the former Virginian operate over the former N&W (as a result there is a nice new bridge across the New River at Narrows - and we lost the 2 spectacular Virginian high trestles across the New River and the East River at Glen Lyn) . As such the rail traffic between these 2 points combines all trains to and from Bluefield, Elmore, and Roanoke; all traffic from the former Virginian and N&W mainlines. (The Virginian trackage between these locations was removed during the late 1960's - 1970's to provide room through the narrow New River Valley to 4-lane US-460).

Beautiful scenery, lots rail traffic, and a great place to railfan (or just be). Thanks again for the nice picture Gordon.

Ed Painter - Narrows, VA - currently living in Russellville, AR

Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2010 5:56 PM
Subject: Yesterday's photos