Roanoke NRHS Fall Foliage Excursions

Mon Jul 12 13:24:12 EDT 2010

FYI:

The Roanoke Chapter, National Railway Historical Society announces Fall
Foliage Amtrak excursions from Roanoke!

On the weekend of November 6 and 7, riders will have the chance to ride
the rails in our area once again. In cooperation with Amtrak and Norfolk
Southern, we will operate two round-trip excursions. On Saturday,
November 6, 2010, our excursion train will depart the former N&W
passenger station bound for the last capital of the Confederacy,
Danville, Virginia. Danville is a new destination for our trips, heading
eastward via the former Virginian Railway to Altavista, before traveling
south via the former Southern Railway to historic Danville. We have a
layover in Danville to explore the area or eat before we depart to
return via Lynchburg and over the original N&W through Bedford.

On Sunday, November 7, 2010, the same train will again head out, this
time bound for Bluefield, West Virginia, climbing Christiansburg
Mountain, rolling along the New River Valley then climbing the grade
into Bluefield. After a layover of several hours to experience the local
sights, sounds and food, passengers will board the train to return to
Roanoke. Bluefield has always been a hugely popular destination for our
trips.

PDF flyer at:
http://nwhs.org/Fall_2010_Save_the_Date.pdf