N&W in 1911--Pullman

Sun Jul 25 14:30:33 EDT 2010

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
February 14, 1911

PULLMAN TO CHARLESTON
------
Passenger Traffic on Boom Since Legislature Got to Work
Business is on the boom between this city and Charleston since the legislature got into action and since the legislative bodies began to fool with the Bluefield charter and enact bills in which the people of this section of the state are interested. As a result of the heavy traffic between the capital and this city and the coal fields the Pullman car which now runs to Kenova and from there to Columbus will now run into Charleston, connecting with the Chesapeake and Ohio train No. 2, which will enable people to get up in Charleston instead of getting up at Kenova and then taking a long run into the capital city. This change will be greatly appreciated by all the people along the Norfolk and Western, especially those in Williamson, Welch and Bluefield, who are frequently patrons of the train. The Chesapeake and Ohio will take the train [actually the Pullman] out of Charleston, transferring it to the Norfolk and Western at Kenova, from which point it will come to this city over the Norfolk and Western on the return trip.
------
[I don't know about you, but this is first that I had seen about a Bluefield--Charleston Pullman.]

Gordon Hamilton