Virginian caboose scrapped at Ashville, OH

Sun Aug 15 12:41:13 EDT 2010

While it is a real shame to lose another piece of history, this is and
will be the fate of many municipal cabs, locomotives, etc. over the
coming years. I feel certain that regardless of markings, it would
have been cut up.

Having not seen the cab in question, I cannot speak to its condition,
However, I can say without a doubt that every single one of the St.
Louis built VGN cabs (300-324) that I have examined, has varying
degrees of side sheet rot at the sills. It is caused by the collection
of coal dust and moisture, rotting from the inside out.

A large number of cabs were donated from mid 1988-1990 or so, now 20
or more years ago. At the time, every town, church group, or whatever
thought it would be neat to have one, and had someone to champion the
cause. Truly, some thought that a caboose was small enough and light
enough to haul down the road on the back of a pick up truck or at
least behind it.

Now, 20 years later, the person that championed the idea, might have
been 40-60 years old, today, they could be dead, retired or moved on.
Maintaining a piece of equipment that is the size of a small house or
bigger becomes a lot of work. Most rail equipment was old when the
railroad disposed of them, therefore, perhaps not in the best of shape
to start with.

With no one locally to champion the cause, maintenance tends to stop
or the person who did it is no longer able to continue. This problem
is not limited to equipment, but the rail hobby in general, face it
folks, none of us are getting any younger, and how many younger people
are showing interest, certainly not as many as there are older folks
involved. As I said, it is not just equipment, but archives, museums,
rail groups in general.

Ken Miller