Date of Y4 Tender change

Wed Aug 18 21:30:13 EDT 2010

Dave:  At this date, I have no idea, as the question never occured to me at the
time I saw them. They were in a storage area just east of the shops alongside
the main line. My mental picture is that the cistern end was closest to me, and
I don't think of them as being coupled together at that time. I think they were
distributed on more than one track.  But you are talking about how they were
transported to Roanoke - right? So your guess is as good as mine. The easy way
would have been to couple them front to front with a drawbar and thus there
would be a coupler on each end of the pair. But that was not necessarily how it
was done, since they did not come directly from the ACL. They were bought from
an outfit named "Georgia Car" or something like that. So they probably had
already been transported once from the scrapper to Georgia Car, and it may be
that they put couplers in the drawbar pocket from the beginning. I don't know!
But I do know that would have been  possible because all the auxillary tanks had
such a coupler applied to the front end when they were rebuilt from the 16k
tenders.      Jim Nichols

________________________________
Sent: Wed, August 18, 2010 5:08:27 PM
Subject: RE: Date of Y4 Tender change

Jim,
How would you guess that they may have been coupled together?
Did they have a temporary drawbar sort of thing on the front end?
Do you recall if they were all head to tail or just random orientation?

Thanks,
Dave Willis
(blt 1962, c/n 4)