Article about N&W and the NWHS

Tue Sep 7 11:06:58 EDT 2010

Had a great weekend up in Southern West Virginia and saw plenty of reminders in
2010 of the N&W.

I wrote an article about the reminders of steam engines for my column today
http://exm.nr/NW_LaborDay which includes a photo of the Bluefield Coal Tower and
a brief discussion of the N&W's history. Also is a slide show showing some of
the railfan photos I took on the trip.

I also found out about the N&W 0-8-0 #7 on display at the park along with the
N&W caboose and Coal Hopper. I'd love to see the money found to be able to
cosmetically restore the unit (or at least paint over the rust)

I'm going to be uploading more photos to my website (http://genebowker.com)
later this evening showing some views from Ieager, Welch, Bluefield and
hopefully some pictures of the #7.

I end the article with a plug for the N&W Historical Society which I've found to
be a wonderful resource since I joined earlier this year.

Hope you enjoy, feel free to leave comments or corrections.

Gene Bowker http://genebowker.com/
The Railroad Examiner - http://railfan.biz