Thu Sep 16 09:29:18 EDT 2010

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with five of the
Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway. On my way to Country
Cookin' on Brambleton Ave (US 221 just south of SR 419) where we meet
every Wednesday at about 5 PM, (I was asked by one of our readers to
give this information in this report) I stopped by Rufus Wingfield's
home, to bring him up to date. I showed Ruf the videos of trains on the
VGN tracks of NS, and several handout items. While there it occurred to
me that I should video him giving the Brethren a greeting and did just that.

Before showing the Ruf greeting, I showed the Brethren several trains
recently recorded. The first was a west-bound hopper train on the "W"
side at Singer. The second was an inbound coal train on the old VGN
first shot at V248 near my Aunt Thelma's home and then at the Belt Line.
The shot included a still-standing telephone pole with many insulators
still attached (no wires) where the N&W posted an operator just after
the merger at the Belt Line Crossing. The last shot of the coal train
was at PD Bottom near the entrance to South Yard. I interrupted a
trainmaster, who was about to "BANNER" this incoming train. When he saw
me and my camera, he took the banner down and as the train came by, the
crew thanked me...

I told the Brethren about an upcoming event at Appomattox on October 9
and 10. NS has agreed to take the Roanoke Chapter NRHS GP-30 #522, tool
car #1406, and an N&W caboose to the Appomattox Rail Day. I will
represent the VGN there with displays in the tool car. We were not sure
that NS would actually approve this move so it was not announced until
now. I know this is the same weekend of the Mullens gathering of VGN
fans and would like to be in both places...

Passed around was the flyer from the "Big Lick Stamp Club" announcing
their 2010 fall stamp show . Each year this club highlights local
history and this year's theme is the 100 year anniversary of the VGN
Roanoke Station. The club and US Postal service will provide a
cancellation mark and decorative collectible envelope for the show,
September 25, 2010 form 10 AM until 5 PM at the First Presbyterian
Church, 2101 S. Jefferson Street in Roanoke. The decorative cachet
includes a rendering of the Station with a VGN steam locomotive and an
artist's print of a concept of the Station coming back to life.
Incidentally, when I first became involved, they were going to use the
"J" 611 but I discouraged that...The covers are $1.75 or 2 for $3. If
you want some send the cost and a self-addressed large envelope to me at
3721 Buckingham Drive, Roanoke VA 24018 by Tuesday September 21, so I
can order them.

The Jewel from the Past is from August 24, 2004: "Landon Gregory told of
having to sleep in cars, cabs, abandoned freight houses, and stations
when he had to change locations as a traveling VGN operator. The Railway
provided sleeping quarters for train crews but not the operators.
Sometimes he could stay at Sands and Company but only if a space was not
needed for a train crew member."

I passed on to the Brethren a story that Russell McDaniel, VGN Master
Mechanic told at the Supervisor's breakfast last Friday. Russell, early
in his VGN service, was assigned to work in the Power House at Narrows.
As part of his training, he was required to ride the Princeton local
from time to time. Once while on one of these trips, he found himself
alone in a VGN caboose. He was also required to know the operating
rules. As the occupant of the caboose, rules required that he flag the
rear of the train in case of emergency. He looked out the back window
and saw a headlight appear and approaching. As required, he immediately
proceeded to grab several fusees and exit the cab to flag and protect
the train. In his haste, and upon arriving outside, he discovered that
the light was coming from an automobile with a single headlight, down on
US 460 nearby...

We were talking about the "beanery" at Shaffers Crossing and it brought
back memories of a barbershop that my Dad used to take me to that was
just across 24th Street from the beanery. I was about 13 and this barber
had three choices for haircuts: A. Crew Cut B. Flat Top and C. Other. I
already had my flat top phase, and never liked the crew cut, so the only
choice was the "C". I remember asking my Mom to take me to an "uptown"
barber shop near our church. She agreed and dropped me off one Saturday
afternoon on her way to a church function, and gave the barber
instructions. She told me that she would pick me up in about an hour.
After Mom left and it was my turn, the barber asked me if I wanted a
"DA" with my Mom's choice. I had no idea what a "DA" was, but since he
recommended it, I got one. Turns out a "DA" was a duck's-behind cut like
Elvis wore. When my Mom picked me up, she canceled the "DA" and had the
barber give me a "C+".

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon