"Taking Twenty"/Mary Grant

Wed Oct 13 12:09:10 EDT 2010

Trying to catch up on my list reading...

My grandfather, Alvin L. "Grant" Grant, lived in Suffolk. When he died in 1973, the gathered family included a contingent from around his boyhood home near Jarratt where his family owned a general store (mentioned in H. Reid's book). A lady, likely a niece (?), was introduced to me as someone who worked for the railroad. Regrettably, I still know little of this branch of my family and hope to fix that with a trip to Jarratt soon. What I distinctly remember was that she worked as an operator and the strong impression left, even to a kid, of the pride in her work and particularly in her employer--not just any railroad, but the Virginian. Thanks for the posts, Skip.

Grant Carpenter