N&W in 1911--Kenova bridge

Mon Oct 18 11:30:21 EDT 2010

Guys: The Rebuilding the Kenova Bridge Under Traffic article is in the
January 1924 N&W employee's magazine.

Gary Rolih

Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 8:15 PM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: Re: N&W in 1911--Kenova bridge

Jim, Larry

Thanks for clarifying this for me and others. I had forgotten that the
station was located at the east end of the viaduct. I can see now how
raising the east end of the viaduct five feet would have affected the
station.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 4:36 PM

Okay, so the rails on the bridge itself were not raised, but the east end of
the viaduct was about 5 feet higher than before. This corresponds to the
difference in elevation between the platform and the upper waiting area at
the station. (which I know from personal observation) Previously, the upper
waiting area was at the same level as the platform (according to my father).
Thanks for the clarification. Jim Nichols

_____

Sent: Fri, October 15, 2010 1:14:35 PM

Jim,

The Railway Age Gazette article that I referred to states, in relation to
the girders put on top of the piers to support the new trusses outside of
the old trusses, "The girders are necessarily very deep, and as there was to
be practically no change in grade on the bridge [emphasis mine], it was
necessary to cut off the tops of the old piers to provide clearance for the
girders below the bottoms of the trusses."

The station was on the approach viaduct near the east end of the bridge, and
there was a change in grade on this viaduct when the new bridge was built,
but not enough to put it on a different level of the station. The same
article states, "It was desired to reduce the grade of this viaduct approach
from 0.5 to 0.3 percent by raising the east end of the viaduct about 5 ft.,
and the remainder of it by correspondingly lesser amounts, reaching the old
grade line about over the second pier of the bridge." If the grade line on
the new bridge had been higher than the grade line on the old bridge that
would have increased the grade on the approach viaduct instead of reducing
it.

The Railway Age Gazette article is quite interesting, and I recommend it to
anyone interested in how such things were done a century ago.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 10:36 AM

Oh, but the rails WERE raised, Gordon. That is why the upper (open air)
waiting area of the station was below track level after the new bridge and
viaduct were built. I have my father's word on this. His first job was at
Kenova in 1914. Jim Nichols

_____

------

[ The new truss bridge was built around the old truss bridge, but the old
piers were retained, although shortened to accommodate the heaver members of
the new bridge while keeping the rail at the same level as previously. For
more details on the bridge replacement, see the interesting article in
Railway Age Gazette, Vol. 55, Sep. 5, 1913, p. 407, at Google Books.]

Gordon Hamilton

_____

_____

02:34:00