Pillars of Smoke Question (NW Mailing List)

Mon Oct 18 20:37:32 EDT 2010

"While I cannot speak accurately as to how it was handled with steam, I do know that if the air was not turned into the pusher, and the train went into emergency for any reason, the pusher, still working, would probably buckle the train and there would be cars all over the right of way!
Jeff Sanders "

Jeff is right. It's all about safety and a proper brake test requires that the brakes apply and release on the pushers. Long haul pushing as on the Valley & Punkin Vine had pushers between the cars and caboose.

Jimmy Lisle