Train splits

Mon Oct 25 10:07:32 EDT 2010

It is, among other things, made to speed up
perations, as with air already in the train line of those cars, it
eans that the locomotive air compressor, does not have to run as long
o pump air back into the system, which can be a considerable amount
f time, meaning the crew can get underway sooner.
By recollection, A.C.Smith's seniority went back to 1914. He
was NS's General Yardmaster at Norfolk. Prior to dispatching
No. 99, the Belt Line's delivery had to be received, inspected,
then classified, and the blocks folded together to make the train.
There were no N&PBL's on the interchange track, so Smith called
Berkley. "We're pumping air on them right now," their yardmaster
replied. Twenty minutes more and Smith is still holding No. 99
open for the Belt Line delivery. Again: "We're pumping air on
them right now." It was the same reply on the third call, and
that's when Smith concluded he was being taken for a ride. "Well,
keep pumping air and pretty soon they'll float over here."
Harry Bundy