19 and 31 orders

Wed Nov 17 20:10:23 EST 2010

31 Orders & 19 orders: was Re: The old Morse code
Posted by: "wp_yr" hiltonrg at comcast.net wp_yr
Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:46 am (PST)

If you type the word "stop" in the old Morse code, without any time space between the letters, it sounds like the number "31." If you type the word "wait" in the old Morse code, without any time space betweeen the letters, it sounds like the number "19." So-called "stop orders," where a train was actually required to stop, were eventually called "31 orders." Orders that a train had to wait for, but did not necessarily have to stop for, were eventually called "19 orders." Eventually, everyone forgot what "19" and "31" were abbreviations for.

A number of years ago, I was in South America, and got a copy of some "31 orders." Of course, "alto" does not sound like "31" in the old Morse code. The South Americans just copied the English abbreviation for "stop," rather than abbreviating "alto."

Robert

November 18, 2010

Hello, Robert:

That's a very interesting insight which I had never considered. I wonder if anyone else in the Morse telegraph historical community is aware of the possible origin for "19" and "31" orders?

Good evening,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com