N&W New River Cripple Creek Branch or Extension

Fri Nov 19 08:54:24 EST 2010

There is a partial map of the N&W's Cripple Creek Branch on page 4 of my book "Coalwood" if you happen to have the book. It is available through the NWHS Commissary.

I will have to dig through my files to find the complete map. At the time I was writing "Coalwood" I was interested in the map as a map of the Cripple Creek mineral region more so than a railroad map. I seem to recall (but cannot say with assurance) that the N&W did not complete the branch because of the collapse of the Virginia iron industry with the discovery of the Missabi iron range. eof the drop

Alex Schust
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 1:03 PM
Subject: N&W New River Cripple Creek Branch or Extension

Where did the N&W New River Cripple Creek branch (or "extension" of another branch if that is the proper name) with 1880s iron furnaces originate and where did it end?

When was it built?

Are there remains of any of these furnace sites still in existance?

Thanks,

Al Kresse