N&W and VGN in 1911--Iron ore and limestone at Narrows

Mon Nov 22 21:38:27 EST 2010

Ed,

I suspected the Narrows cave photos might catch your eye. According to Caves of Virginia, Henry H. Douglas, 1964, the coordinates of Giant Caverns are 37 19' 10"N, 80 48' 37"W, and when those are entered into Google Earth the location turns out to be in a heavily wooded area near the south end of (naturally) Cave Street in Narrows. A 7/1/85 topo map has the word "CAVES" right at the south end of Cave Street. Other than those two references, I do not remember much about how we got to the cave, except I know we drove fairly close to the entrance. Inasmuch as the cave had been a commercial venture, it makes sense that there would be public road access to it, although one query I received after my original message on the cave makes me realize that I should have explained that the commercial venture was to provide public tours--not to quarry the cave. The owner listed in the above referenced book is Oscar W. Hopkins. The owners who initially commercialized the cave were Harold Hale and his son.

Inasmuch as you have seen the entrance pit to Giant Caverns (the commercial entrance caved in many years ago) I am attaching a photo (in glorious faded Anscochrome) showing it to see if you remember it this way. Note our group's car in the distance. Also, you may be able to make out three members of our group around the pit. The fellow on the right is securing the rope around a tree trunk for our rappel into the pit. This was about a 48-foot rappel. The longest rappel that I ever did was 180 feet in Alabama. Fun going down, work coming back up.

Gordon
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2010 3:17 PM
Subject: RE: N&W and VGN in 1911--Iron ore and limestone at Narrows

Gordon,

If I recall from Boy Scout hiking trips that this cavern was on Angle's Rest (the name of the mountain between Narrows and Pearisburg). We never attempted to go down into the caverns but I recall the opening and being told stories about all that went on there when the caverns were open. Your pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing them.

Ed Painter - Narrows, VA currently living in Russellville, VA